Jul 2, 2013

Paint the Town Red {Fried Cauliflower with pine nuts, capers and chilli}

For the I Heart Cooking Clubs theme this week, we're painting the town red.

I'm sort of in a blogging slump right now.  Happens every summer.  I don't feel like cooking--which means heating up the house.  I don't feel like moving--which means I don't have anything to talk about.  Lazy, lazy.

Instead of dipping a big fat brush in and laying on the red, all I can muster is a little accent color.


After seeing the picture of this dish at The Guardian, I knew I had to make it.  Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables.  But it was that red pop of color from the chillies that pushed me.


Well, that and the browned pieces of cauliflower.  Oh and the capers, which I knew The Boy would like.

As is the case with other Yotam Ottolenghi dish we've tried so far, this is a blend of distinct, yet harmonious flavors and textures.

My favorite part is the paste of capers, garlic, and parsley.
While the red peppers wake up the dish visually, the caper paste wakes it up taste-wise.

Additional Notes: So, yeah, frying cauliflower is pretty darn good.  But it's also a little fussy since the cauliflower has to be blanched, drained, and dried first.  And messy because, well, it's frying.  And more calories.  I'll make this again because it is THAT good.  But I think I will try it with roasted cauliflower instead.

I did mention lazy earlier, right?

Ottolenghi writes that this would go with anything Mediterranean.  I'd argue only to say that I ate all of the leftovers as a meal in itself.
Because it is THAT good.
Have a feeling this will make my Top Five Ottolenghi list.

For the recipe...and, really, you will want it...click on The Guardian link above.

Linking with:
IHCC Ottolenghi Leek Badge resized MyMeatlessMondays

14 comments:

  1. Jackson walks in and asks me why I'm sitting in the living room laughing to myself. "Instead of dipping a big fat brush in and laying on the red, all I can muster is a little accent color." That statement really did make me chuckle out loud.

    You and I are totally on the same wavelength. I've been eyeballing all his cauliflower dishes lately and this fried one is at the top of the list. When I made the hummus awhile back it called for buttered and toasted pine nuts. I usually don't care for pine nuts at all, but toasting them in a pan with some butter totally changes them. Makes them like a 10+ (I'll have to tell you about my rating scale one day). Anyway, this dish looks absolutely delicious.

    P.S. I'm not laying on the red either this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why Oh Why did I not buy cauliflower when I was at the store today?;-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. To think I wasted my beautiful head of cauliflower by roasting it with cumin earlier today when I could have made this! That caper paste sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic. I stopped buying pine nuts because they are so expensive but I have another recipe that calls for them and I do want to make this. I am a fan of cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all about accent color when it involves chili pepper rings! This looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds very similar to one of my favorite cauliflower dishes that basically does this and tosses it with pasta. It's divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    Seriously, this sounds delicious. I love you painting the town red. I do know exactly how you feel though. Summer is so busy (I like the heat better than the cold though)!
    Pinned this.
    Just wanted to let you know I used your bayou picture on my 4th of July post. It's watermarked and I will give you a shout out on Friday's post also. Hope that is okay.
    Hope you have a enjoyable and relaxing 4th celebration.
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of fried cauliflower! You certainly make it sound good!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michelle,
    This was one of the recipes which I have bookmarked to try, no idea when yet! I totally love cauliflower and with another of my favourite, capers, this looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Classic...he can can even make cauliflower seem indulgent & alluring! I am not really a huge fan of cauliflower but with this concoction I think I am about to be convinced otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOWWWWW
    This dish looks GOOD and I know I have to make it.
    You mentioned the word "lazy" - well it describes me(!) when it comes to cooking, but I honestly like this dish.
    It is also very colorful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I know what that "blogging slump" feels like! Despite that you've still delivered the goods with this one, and there is nothing wrong with a little bit of accent colour, especially when it comes in the form of chilli. I love cauliflower too, and I must admit I roast it often (much too lazy to fry)! Dying to try that caper paste - sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks amazing!! Can't wait to try this.. I'm on a cauliflower kick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing like a little red accent. ;-) It looks wonderful with this cauliflower. I would make a meal out of it myself! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.